Guinness World Records Training Day!
As part of preparations for Cadbury Spots and Stripes Race Season, Kylie headed off to Central London to attend a training day in the hope of landing the coveted title of “Official Guinness World Records Adjudicator”.
After kick starting the day with a Guinness World Records history lesson, Kylie and her fellow trainees got to try their hand at the 5 Spots v Stripes Race Season challenges – fastest tea maker, fastest toilet roller, fastest doodler, fastest coin stacker and fastest bed maker!
With the room split into Spots and Stripes, things soon got competitive and before long there were duvet covers and toilet rolls flying in all directions as everyone raced to clock the fastest times.
Further brain training and practice took place throughout the afternoon before the moment of truth…exam time!
To pass the exam, the trainees had to know the rules inside out and upside down in order to make accurate decisions regarding the success of the attempt. (Including being on high alert for slippery characters trying to cheat!) They also had to know the current record including the measurement to beat, as well as who, what, were and when it happened. And finally, they had to announce the result in an accurate, assertive and entertaining manner. All while remembering the GWR etiquette – disciplined, impartial and professional! Phew.
So…armed with their trustee stop watches, whistles, clipboards and nerves of steel the trainees faced the judges one by one and after a nervous wait, we are pleased to say they all passed with flying colours, and will now carry the weight of responsibility for future Record Breakers everywhere, with them forever.
Check out www.spotsvstripes.com/raceseason when we go live on Monday and join in the fun by playing one of our online or offline races and you too could get into the record books, though we can’t promise Norris McWhirter will adjudicate.
Facts and figures…
• The longest jump by a guinea pig was achieved by Diesel, who cleared a gap of 20.5 cm (8.07 in) in London, UK, on 27 July 2009.
• Smallest animal used in detecting land mines The smallest animal currently being trained to detect land mines is the honeybee (Apis mellifera), which measures 12 mm (0.5 in) long.
• Longest earlobes – stretched Monte Pierce (USA) can stretch his earlobes to a length of 12.7 cm (5 in) for his left and 11.43 cm (4.5 in) for his right. He currently also holds the record for the greatest ear sling shot.
• Longest distance Morris danced – team – a team of six Morris dancers from Shakespeare’s Revenge Morris (UK) danced from Madder Market, Norwich to South Walsham, Norfolk, UK, in a choreographed routine, covering a distance of 42.0628 km (26.1 miles) in a time of 8 hr 4 min on 21 April 2002.
• Farthest distance to pull a bus with the hair (male)
Manjit Singh (UK), the “Iron Man of Leicester”, pulled an 8-tonne (8.8-ton) double-decker bus 21.2 m (69 ft 6 in) using just his hair as part of the GWR celebrations in London. He tried the same stunt in 2007 using his ears but failed to move the bus the required distance.
• Most kicks to the head in one minute (self)
The most kicks to one’s own head in one minute was 110 by Walt Saine (Switzerland) in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 30 October 2010. Saine used both his left and right legs to kick himself in the forehead an average of 1.8 times per second.
• The Largest Garden gnome
The largest garden gnome measures 5.41 m (17 ft 8 in) tall and was made by the company PHU MALPOL (Poland). The gnome was presented and measured in Nowa Sol, Poland, on 2 June 2009.
• Most spoons balanced on the face
The most spoons balanced on the face is 17 and was achieved by Aaron Caissie (Canada) on the set of Lo Show Dei Record, in Milan, Italy, on 18 April 2009.
• Fastest speed on a skate board by a dog
Tillman the English Bulldog covered a 100-m stretch of level car park in a time of 19.678 seconds during X Games XV in Los Angeles, California, USA, on 30 July 2009. Tillman is the “spokesdog” for Natural Balance dog food and is managed by Mike Maguire (USA). He can also surf, snowboard and skimboard.