Generation PG hits up Youth Marketing Strategy Conference
A few weeks ago, some of us were fortunate enough to attend YMS – The Youth Marketing Strategy Conference at the Roundhouse Camden.
The conference ran over two days and was filled with talks, masterclasses and panels from fellow agencies and brands.
To this day, we’re all still having dreams about the words MILLENIALS and AUTHENTICITY.
A snapshot of what we learnt:
• The Youth audience is hard to reach and retain, they aren’t particularly loyal to a brand and they can see straight through fake activities or obvious marketing
• They want to be knowledgeable about the world around them, which is why they follow social channels of science, history or culture publications in order to receive bite-sized digestible information
• Champion everyone, give them a platform, there are no more norms. Don’t target the “youth” as one group, be more specific
• The Guardian newspaper is the most influential within the youth audience, half of the 17-24 year olds in the UK (that’s 1.7 million) read the newspaper online or on the app
• Instant gratification is important to them, they are the most impatient generation ever
With so many brands fighting to appeal to a ‘youth’ market, it was really good to confirm that we know what we’re doing… We’re looking forward to implementing some of the ideas and inspirations we took from the two days, in more exciting campaigns this year. More to come!